Friday, December 02, 2005

I really need a bigger kitchen

Yeah, I know I eat rice very often. At least I do use different varieties. Does that count for anything?

Its mostly basmati and ponni raw rice, but I also use sona masoori, and jeeragam sambu sometimes. (I have "idli rice" and rice flour too, but thats besides the point). I generally use basmati with north indian food, dal, biryani, and nonveg... the others, obviously, with south indian -strongly flavored stuff.

Ive noticed that different brands of each kind of rice can vary greatly. And I always forget which ones I liked/didnt like. I have a feeling "royal" was my fav basmati, but im not sure. The one we have now has practically no aroma :( I think its Falak brand. and the recent ponni rice I got is the worst. It reminds me of "american" rice. Ick. It was on sale, buy one get one free. Anyone have a brand they recommend?!

On another note, I also have too many kinds of cooking oil. Gingelly(sesame), some vegetable oil blend, e.v. olive oil, coconut oil, and a few scrapings of homemade ghee(have to make some more when I stop procrastinating). I think thats all, heh heh.

Ive noticed that, although I really like coconut and the scent of coconut, Im not too fond of the smell of cooking with coconut oil. I also theorize I wouldnt be too fond of Keralite food.- Dont hate me for that. I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY if you want to invite me to your house for dinner and help me change my mind!!!!


Well, I wont even get started on how many spices I have! Its ridiculous, believe me.
The strangest thing I have is something called "Katlu Batrisu Powder" from Mangal brand. It says on the box its a mixture of 32 traditional herbs used in preparing sweets like methipak and golpapdi. I dont know what those are. I tried looking up this stuff on the internet and didnt get much info either. If anyone knows what in the world I can make with this stuff please let me know!!!!!!

But how could I pass it up, really? It has 32 TRADTIONAL HERBS including satavali, salam, asrrio, white musli, piperingum, gokhru and other "herbal roots" for 99cents!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger yum said...

Thanks Priya!

I am in New Jersey, and we get jeeraga samba in the indian grocery. Are you in Arizona?

December 07, 2005 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 14, 2009 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter