Friday, December 02, 2005

Dosai Tips

Thought I would write down some things Ive learned over the years....

1. Using a cast iron pan really - enhances the flavour and crispiness.

2. Use whole skinned urad dal. It makes a difference. I dont know why.

3. The proportion matters, and everyone has their own theories on it. I personally use abt 1c urad dal to 3.5-4 cups of idli rice. If using split urad, I put 1:3. Then again, I use this same thing for idli. For just dosa you can have a higher proportion of rice.

4. Dont forget to add methi/fenugreek/vendayam seeds in the soaking dal.

5. Grind everything finely. (for idli, leave the rice very slightly grainy)

6. Grind with COLD, filtered water and dont let the dal get warmed during grinding. It will begin to "cook" and ruin the taste.

7. Mix with your hand. They say the yeast, or something, from your hand causes it to ferment better. I dont know if its true, but Im going with it anyway.

8. Try to incorporate air into it as you are mixing. Oops, thats for idli. Oh well.

9. Add kosher (or not iodized) salt if possible.

10. Fermentation is the key. If its warm outside, keep it out, covered of course for the day. It makes a huge difference.

11. I have, in cold weather, heated my oven to 200F, turned it off, and kept the idli batter inside to aid fermentation.
[Once, while making appam batter, I forgot to turn off the oven and got an almost cooked "appam cake" out of it! I should have let it finish cooking and tried eating it. But no, I just threw it away.]

12. I havent actually done this but a friend of mine adds moistened poha before cooking. Its good.

13. Make sure the consistency is right(should thinkly coat the back of a spoon) and the pan is hot.

14. Rub the pan with an oiled cloth or paper towel in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter