Saturday, July 08, 2006

My first - sabudana kichedi


Ive been wanting to try this out for a long time but was very afraid. I read too many horror stories of sticky clumps, and gummy messes. The fear of disaster swam in my mind. The dread of throwing out a pot-ful of dreams was more than I could bear. Finally I just closed my eyes and took the leap. And to my great surprise, it was fine. Better than fine. It came out excellent!
I searched around for some tips (on the web of course). And this is what I did.......

1. Rinse the sabudana well. Soak in lots of water for about 10 mins. Then rinse it again, and this time drain off the water and just let it sit for about an hour or two and repeat once more, run fingers through to make sure its not sticking.

2. Roast and grind peanuts to a powder, keep aside. Boil a potato- peel it and chop.

3. Mix the sabudana with the crushed peanuts and salt.

4. Add oil to cast iron pan. put cumin seeds and green chilies(use a lot to add flavour). Then add the potato pieces and fry till browned(I was too impatient). Add salt and chili powder. Add sabudana and stir for several minutes till they are cooked nicely. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

5. After taking the pic I added some chopped coriander leaves. Then I decided to make a cucumber raita to go with it. THAT really kicked it up a notch! I really liked the combination of textures it added.

*Side note: next time I would chop the green chilies more finely and the potatoes smaller.

4 Comments:

Blogger Revathi said...

Wow first time in ur blog and you have a south indian feast going on here.

July 11, 2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger archana said...

I have never tried this kichedi before, after reading your post i feel like making it. Thank you

July 22, 2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting recipe.

July 26, 2006 4:21 AM  
Blogger yum said...

revathi- Thanks for stopping by :)

archana- do try and let me know if you liked it.

pushpa- its not so much my own recipe but a collection from the web :)

July 27, 2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter